Nerds Heart YA
My first request isn’t for me. It’s for nominations for Nerds Heart YA.
Nerds Heart YA is an annual tournament of books. Right now, nominations are open for Young Adult books published in 2010, depicting or written by someone in a group identified by the organizers as being underrepresented in YA fiction.
If you know of a good book that meets that description, and has not been heavily reviewed in the blogosphere, please nominate it!
This set of suggestions is for me, or rather for my daughter’s class. When they return from their next 4 day field trip (the one I was reading Measure for Measure to discuss with them in preparation for), they will dive into their geography unit. I’d like to come up with a set of Lit books for them to read and discuss in small groups.
- The class in made up of 7th & 8th graders at very wide reading levels, so suggestions from slightly lower to much higher difficulty are welcome, as long as they are interesting to 12-14 year olds.
- The class is about 2/3 boys, so I particularly need books that will appeal to them.
- Classics, historical or contemporary fiction are good. They’ve already done a round of science fiction and of (Greek Mythology linked) fantasy this year, so I’d avoid those genres.
- I don’t really know what I mean by a geography tie in.
- Maybe something they could track on a map?
- Something with travel and adventure?
- A book featuring maps?
- A book where the terrain and physical features of an area plays a major role?
- Well written and good fodder for discussion would be very helpful too 🙂
Leave suggestions in the comments here, e-mail me, Tweet me, send me a Facebook message. I wouldn’t suggest carrier pigeons (I have a cat) or smoke signals (too cloudy), but however is easiest for you to get a message to me.