I’m really more of a cat person than a dog person. Although I still really want a new kitten someday, I’m beginning to understand the charms of a sweet, well behaved dog.
When I was at BEA (Book Expo America) I saw this book, and the cover reached out and grabbed me. When I got home, it had the same effect on my daughter. I haven’t read it yet, but will soon– check back here for my review.
In 2002, Larry Levin and his twin sons, Dan and Noah, took their terminally ill cat to the Ardmore Animal Hospital outside Philadelphia to have the beloved pet put to sleep. What would begin as a terrible day suddenly got brighter as the ugliest dog they had ever seen–one who was missing an ear and had half his face covered in scar tissue–ran up to them and captured their hearts. The dog had been used as bait for fighting dogs when he was just a few months old. He had been thrown in a cage and left to die until the police rescued him and the staff at Ardmore Animal Hospital saved his life. The Levins, whose sons are themselves adopted, were unable to resist Oogy’s charms, and decided to take him home.
Heartwarming and redemptive, OOGY is the story of the people who were determined to rescue this dog against all odds, and of the family who took him home, named him “Oogy” (an affectionate derivative of ugly), and made him one of their own.
Oogy will be in stores on October 12. If you win this giveaway, you may or may not have it in your hands by then, but it should be close!
Hachette Books/Grand Central Publishing are allowing me to pick 2 winners of this book.
Having an address (not a PO Box) in the US or Canada is a requirement. I’ll pick the winners on the evening of September 24, 2010. One winner per household– if you win on two blogs, please let one of us know, so we can pick a new winner (and thank you to all of my readers that already do this!)
- Leave a comment to enter. I’ll get your e-mail address if you are on WordPress or you enter it where requested. Make sure it is valid! This is all you need to do.
- If you have additional entries (see below), you can leave them in the same comment, or a different one. Whatever you prefer.
- For an additional entry, let me know if you subscribe to my blog via a blog reader (RSS) or e-mail, or if you follow me on Twitter. Thank you to my current subscribers, Welcome if you are new to my blog.
- One more entry if you let other people know about this giveaway! On your blog, on Twitter, or another social site. Just leave a note in the comments.
- As a bonus (for an additional entry) tell me about your favorite kind of pet: Dog? Cat? Fish? Reptile? Rodent? Virtual?
Warning, the story in this video is horribly sad.