My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
I did enjoy this book. I just had my expectations too high from the previous book, To Sin With A Scoundrel, which could have been written to order for me. This one seemed much more ordinary. I don’t think there was anything wrong with it, but it wasn’t quite my style and nothing jumped out as being particularly special, either.
I wish we’d had more of the Circle of Sinners, and that Alessandra had confided her predicament to them. They only were present in this book enough to remind me of how interesting they all were before, and to set up the character of Kate for the next book.
I never really felt Jack was more than a stereotype of a romance hero. He’s tough! He has a bad reputation! His brothers used to beat him up! But underneath it all is the soul of an artist, which no one knew until this book began!
Lady Alessandra was a little more complex, but I’ve never been fond of the I hate him! He’s terrible! He’s so attractive! I can’t help myself, I must have sex with him! I still hate him! We’ll have sex again! Now I know he’s trustworthy and the love of my life! angle. This is very common in romance novels, so I can’t count this as an objective flaw, but it is one for me.
The book was well written, so I won’t count the author out in the future, and this still may be the right book for you. It just wasn’t one of my favorites, although it was still a fun, quick read. There’s no need to read the first book before picking this one up. There are a few references to characters and event that take place there, but nothing that’s necessary to understand what’s going on.
If you think this book sounds like a pleasant way to spend an afternoon or an evening (I thought it was), enter the giveaway that Hachette Books is allowing me to host. Click to enter to win a copy of To Surrender To A Rogue by Cara Elliot!
Both this review and the giveaway are part of a blog tour. Thank you to Hachette Books/Forever Romance for providing me with a review copy and allowing me to participate. Check out the other tour stops!
- http://justanothernewblog.blogspot.com 6/14/2010 Giveaway
- http://reesspace.blogspot.com 6/14/2010 Giveaway
- www.bibliophilicbookblog.com 6/14/2010 Feature, Review, Giveaway
- http://paranormalromanticsuspensereviews.blogspot.com 6/15/2010 Feature, Giveaway
- http://ajourneyofbooks.halfzero.net 6/16/2010 Feature, Review, Giveaway, Q&A
- www.maryinhb.blogspot.com 6/16/2010 Review, Giveaway
- www.booksoulmates.blogspot.com 6/16/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://www.mybookaddictionandmore.wordpress.com 6/16/2010 Feature, Review, Giveaway, Guest Post
- http://momofboyswithtoys.blogspot.com 6/17/2010 Feature, Review, Giveaway
- http://martasmeanderings.blogspot.com 6/17/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://www.masoncanyon.blogspot.com 6/17/2010 Giveaway, Guest Post
- www.thebookgirl.net 6/18/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://bridget3420.blogspot.com 6/20/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://mommyreadstoomuch.blogspot.com 6/21/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://thisbookforfree.com 6/22/2010 Review, Giveaway, Q&A
- www.rexrobotreviews.com 6/23/2010 Review, Giveaway, Q&A
- http://thebooktree.blogspot.com 6/23/2010 Feature, Giveaway
- www.froggaritasbookcase.net 6/24/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://booksandneedlepoint.blogspot.com 6/24/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://thefictionenthusiast.blogspot.com/ 6/25/2010 Feature, Giveaway
- http://www.eclecticbooklover.com/ 6/25/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://brokenteepee.blogspot.com 6/25/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://marthasbookshelf.blogspot.com/ 6/26/2010 Review, Giveaway, Q&A
- http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com 6/27/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://www.renees-reads.blogspot.com/ 6/28/2010 Review, Giveaway
- www.tarnyblogspot.blogspot.com 6/28/2010 Review
- http://dkay401-challenges.blogspot.com/ 6/28/2010 Review, Giveaway
- www.justjenniferreading.blogspot.com 6/28/2010 Review, Giveaway
- http://startingfresh-gaby317.blogspot.com/ 6/28/2010 Giveaway