I’m always reading multiple books at a time. I’ve usually got something going in each of these categories:
- A book for each book club (current count: 2)
- An audiobook
- A paper book (no e-reader yet)
- a fluffy book
- a more serious book (non-fiction or literary fiction)
- a favorite book for bedtime listening
A book can fit in more than one of these at a time– it isn’t unusual for me to be listening to a “serious” book for a book club.
These aren’t my only simultaneous reading categories. I’ll also add another book in the mix when:
- I misplace a book I was reading.
- Someone loans me a book.
- My daughter hands me a book and says “you should read this”.
- A book catches my attention and I want to read it NOW.
I always count my book club books as “currently reading” as soon as the previous meeting is over, even though I’m likely to open them until a week ahead of time. I try to time my reading so I finish just before the discussion (although I misjudged my schedule for the last two books and had to scramble at the last minute). I go ahead and count them because they are in the mix of books I’m considering each time I sit (or lay or whatever) to read.
So, what am I reading now?
- I’m listening to Malice Domestic (a collection of short stories I downloaded from my library via Overdrive).
- I’m reading Pardonable Lies by Jacqueline Winspeare.
- I’m occasionally picking up Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It tends to be in an inconvenient location or I’m just not in the mood to read it.
- For book club L (meeting at the end of April) I’m reading Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (and I’ve been having a hard time keeping my hands off of it, but I expect it to be a fast read).
- For book club M (meeting at the beginning of May) I’m reading Cures for Heartbreak by Margo Rabb.
- For bedtime (and sleepless in the middle of the night) listening, I have The Moor by Laurie R. King.
What are you reading now? How many books do you have open at a time?